Thursday, January 20, 2005

Respect

Is respect not earnt rather than demanded? Because personally I believe that respect has to be earnt- and that people who demand respect unjustly do not deserve it. The right does not lie with you to decide whether or not people should have respect for you, it lies with the people that choose to have respect for you. Of course a certain amount of respect should be given to those elder than you- but they have to deserve it, it is not a constant, it can be easily lost. If a criminal is an old man does that mean you have to have respect for him? No. So, he's been around for longer than you, so what? He lost his repesct, or maybe he never even deserved it, and that is the thing to remember.

I had a frustrating day, with people attacking me for opinions which my well-being does not depend on. I was only trying to defend the innocent, for there is no need to make the innocent pay for what was done to you. However, it seems I am the only person I know who holds this ideal, and so I was attacked. By six people none the less. One would think people would be more thoughtful. If the youth are the future, and that is the youth then I don't wanna be around for the future of this country. That's the unfortunate truth.

No comments: