Sunday, February 18, 2007

Forgive me

Dear Adam,

I know you'll forgive me one day.. for leading you on. For four months I held your heart, I held your hope.. and all the while I had no intention of seeing it through. Someone else had my heart, just as I had yours. And what makes it worse is that he isn't a stranger to you - far from it.

Excuses are only that, excuses. But maybe you care to hear my feeble ones. Or maybe I'm just trying to relieve my all-consuming guilt.

One desires to believe that the object of one's affection is supreme, perfect. But truth be told, we are all human. We only need to step outside of our obsessions to see that. And I am no different, idolise me though you may.

I was scared, so scared Adam. Scared that by saying 'no' i would lose you altogether. Oh, it pains me to even think the cliche. I would not have cared, but I did see something special in you. But not special enough, you just did not capture my heart. Love works in mysterious ways -!- I am no stranger to that fact.
I hope we can still be friends.

I blame my nature for allowing you to believe there was some non-existent chemistry. Heaven knows I do not take things seriously, and often people's feelings get toyed with in my quest for fun. I am not proud of it! I am not proud that you are not the only one who loves me thus, unrequited.

Maybe I underestimate the magnitude of your affection. We can't help who we like! How we feel! Never mind, you said you were sick of chasing me. Is it a credit to me that I managed to hold your interest for four whole months? Surely not! And still you know so little of me.. Or else you might have questioned my actions? I find it hard to disguise my affection, there was none.

How many times did you ask me - did I have feelings for another, would I tell you where you stood? I would not, could not - some fear of finality, of losing your affection - oh, selfish, selfish me! - kept me from admitting to you that you had no chance at all. Oh, I tried to tell you! Indirectly, supposing that a man cannot ignore the obvious forever. It seems he can, where love is we truly are blind! We only see that which we wish to see, hear what we wish to hear. And i gave you enough of both to divert your thoughts.

I didn't want to hurt you. I know that hearing 'no' can be worse than having false hope. Oh, I saved you the smaller hurt to save me from having to cause you any at all! Foolish young girl, did you really think you could keep his hope alive forever? We are all fools to Time eventually, and ultimately Time has his way with everything. We are just feathers resting before the wind. I must have known I could not avoid it forever.

My only redemption is that I stopped it where I did. Although it hurt like hell.. oh it hurt me too. But it is hard work being the keeper of hearts, the pay is cheap, and I tire. Please take yours back. I have no use for it.

5 comments:

Romeo Morningwood said...

The Heart wants what the Heart wants.

I presume that somewhere in the back of your mind there may have been a faint hope clause sitting on the desk waiting to be initialed...you don't seem capable of wanton disregard.

It was brave of you to step forward and apply this coup de gras..I know that it hurts..and we've gone through it...but it doesn't make it any easier.

This mysterious fellow that has a stranglehold on your imagination..have you set an expiration date?
Whoever he is, he must really be something.

Have you given the object of your desire your best shot?
Does he know that you're waiting?

Sometimes something that seems unattainable is impossible to ignore..
an irresistable flash of silver and light in a shiny babbling brook..
poor Adam found that out but we know that he tried.
Now he can live with that.

rauf said...

This stagnates the growth Laila.
You have to move on.

Anthony said...

Something about this post brought back painful memories for me.

Don't ask.

Leila said...

homo - "the heart wants what the heart wants" true, so unfortunately true..

if there was such a hope clause hanging around it sure was making itself scarce. believe me i don't want to believe i am capable of such things either, it seems that i just don't take things seriously enough.

expiration date? no.. it's complicated. all those questions deserve answers but i just don't have them.

Clockworkchris said...

Oh me Oh my, I have been away for so long and this is what I come back to see. I am glad you put an end to what I did not know you had begun. But you are young and atleast the mistake didn't end in divorce or anything like that. You have to learn, and that bascially involves loving or being loved and it ending. Usually 50 times or so, well for me at least. I wish you the best of luck.