Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Happy No-ruz

"...Come fill the Cup, and in the Fire of Spring
The Winter Garment of Repentance fling:
The Bird of Time has but a little way
To fly - and Lo! the Bird is on the Wing..."

(From the Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám)
(translated by Fitzgerald)


***

A couple of days ago, it was the Persian New Year, or “No-Rouz”. Literally, that means ‘new day’. I didn’t know this, but apparently it occurs at the exact time of the Spring Equinox (when the length of the night and day are exactly equal). It’s an Ancient Persian tradition, all to do with cleansing yourself, and making yourself pure again, to tie in with the ‘rebirth of nature’.
The whole thing goes on for thirteen days though. Not that we really celebrate it that much, but there are certain parts of it we usually do, like jumping over the fire on Char-shambeh-sourie to 'purify' yourself.

“Zardie man az tou Khoobie tou az man”

That’s what you sing as you jump over the fire: (All my badness onto you, and all your goodness onto me)
We didn’t jump over the fire this year, or have a haft-seen, but we still celebrated the New Year.

I consulted Hafez for advice on the new year. As mystical as ever, this is what he told me:

Ghazal 294

Faithful in your love, my fame has spread, candle-like
At the home of the homeless, I make my bed, candle-like.
Day and night, from sorrows, sleep escapes from my eyes
Sick of being apart, my eyes are teary, red, candle-like.
Scissors of sorrows have cut my patience' string
Flame of your love burns upon my weary head, candle-like.
If my bloody tears fail to bring color to my cheeks
How else can my secret tales ever be said, candle-like?
Amidst water & fire, my head is busy with your thoughts
While my heart flooded with tears it needs to shed, candle-like.
In the night of separation, send butterfly of union
Else from your pain the world I'll burn & shred, candle-like.
Without your beautiful vision, my day is night
With the love I have bred, my flaws I dread, candle-like.
My patience is eroding, like a mountain from sorrows' rains
In the ocean of your love, path of fire I tread, candle-like.
Like dawn, I blow one breath to see your face
Show yourself O Beloved, else I'll be dead, candle-like.
Honor me one night with your union, my friend
Let your light, light up my house & spread, candle-like.
Fire of your love caught on Hafiz's head
When will my heart's fire, my tears wed, candle-like?

I’m glad Hafez has faith in me to understand that, because I don’t really have faith in myself.

However, I will comment that candles are supposed to be on the haft-seen traditionally, and their symbolism is goodness and warmth of life.
Happy New Year to the world, and may we see peace this year.

8 comments:

rauf said...

Nice to read Laila, Happy Norooz to you, hope the year brings all the joy knowledge in the world with health.

Norooz or Nauroz I think was a Zoroastrian new year festival ? please correct me. They are now called Parsis( Farsis) in India, They live in Bombay and in the state of Gujrat. The most famous parsi is Zubin Mehta. They were persecuted and driven out of Persia by Alexander, All their fire temples were destroyed and they all migrated to India.

Chahaar shumbah is wednesday in Urdu should be the same in Faarsi.

Anonymous said...

Happy No-ruz!!!! Thanks for all that info (it's the first time I hear of it). It's amazing the things one could learn just jumping from blog to blog...

Anthony said...

Happy No-Rouz to you too, Leila.

and I agree with Franc: you can learn alot by jumping from blog to blog.

have a great day.

:)

Oh, and thanks a million for your posts on my blog. Because of you and laura, I intend to post on the topic very soon!

Zambo said...

Hi Leila.

I hope all is well.

Happy No-Rouz!

May you experience all the best that life has to offer in the years to come!

Take care out there!

Your Pal,

Zambo.

Rockantzy said...

Thank you for sharing this occasion with us. Hope this year will be awesome for you!

Leila said...

rauf you are right of course - Zoroastrian festival. The Persians are originally Zoroastrian, not Muslim.

Yes, char shambe is Wednesday.

Thank you Franc Zambo, Rockantzy

Thanks auburn, what's o.s? Yep, great innit?

Antoine thanks and youre welcome of course!

winterssoulstyce said...

happy new year! very interesting!

that whole thing with cleansing and what not sounds a little bit like lent.

i guess i have to consult the oracle and see what it tells me...

Walter said...

Happy No-Rouz!!!