Sunday, February 26, 2006

The afamed grey louries!


Their highest nest.
You can't see them all that well through the leaves. There are about 4 nesting! I didn't want to get tooo close in case I scared them away! I will keep trying to get better photos though.
They are quite big, as big as the tip of your middle finger to your elbow maybe. Their call is pretty amazing, well all of the birds' in our gardens calls are!

This is the tree, close up. You can see why they nest here (protection). They also eat the leaves.
These are two of the nests they have made!

4 comments:

rauf said...

That is a great set of pictures Laila. I clicked and saw the bigger size of all the pictures, you seem to have a pretty good camera. Yes what you did is right, leave them alone, please try keeping a couple of bananas near the branch. I am really glad to see the pictures Laila. Please keep an eye on them and post pictures when ever possible. They seem to trust you.

3.30 in the morning, I suddenly woke up, thought I could check your blog and I was rewarded.
Thank you Laila.

Leila said...

you are very welcome Rauf!

We have hung fruit up in the tree for them, and will def keep doing it!

Anthony said...

I'm jealous.

All I have in Toronto are fat pigeons.

:(

C said...

Wow, Leila!!! Those are great. My kids were so impressed. My 10 year old daughter (the bird nut) is jealous. I told my 6 yo son how big they are and he said "WOW!!! Those are some BIG birdies!" LOL! Thanks so much for posting those! :o)